Protecting your teeth against cavities begins with every substance you place in your mouth, specifically the meals you eat on a daily basis. Cavity prevention begins with healthy eating habits. For a list of suggestions for cavity prevention, read on.
– Consider using additional oral cleaning tools such as water flossers, mouthwash, and sugarless gum to help clean your mouth when brushing and flossing is not available or advised.
– Foods and substances that are sticky and chewy tend to linger in your mouth long after eating them. This can increase your risk for dental erosion, tooth decay, and gum disease.
– Use cleaning tools that are recommended or approved by your dentist. Alternatively, look for oral cleaning products that feature the ADA Seal of Acceptance, which guarantees the safety and effectiveness of the product passes the highest standards in the industry.
– Eat a diet that is healthy and nutritious to ensure your smile is getting the key minerals it needs to keep your teeth and gums strong and healthy.
– Always attend professional cleanings with your dentist every six months and schedule checkups as needed.
– Always focus on brushing your teeth at least twice daily and flossing your teeth once daily.
– Avoid harmful sugars that can contribute to plaque buildup and harmful acids in your mouth, which are known to cause dental erosion.
Dr. Pete Olberding at E. P. True Dental - West Des Moines, IA wants to ensure your smile shines no matter what condition it is in. If you are thinking about getting an examination for cavities, please contact our dentist office in West Des Moines, Iowa, by calling (515) 224-9899. Your smile is our business!